November is here and that brings all the excitement of the upcoming holiday season which kicks off with Thanksgiving at the end of the month. Families and friends come together to enjoy the biggest meal of the year that centers around the traditional turkey. With hundreds of recipes out there – from roasting to deep frying – knowing which one will provide you with the moist, tender meat that everyone desires can be a challenge.
Many families have their own passed-down-from-generation-to-generation method of cooking the turkey. But, if you’re looking for a new option this year, try out the grilled turkey recipe below. One of the bonuses you get from cooking the turkey this way is that it frees up your oven for cooking all of those yummy side dishes.
Perfect Thanksgiving Grilled Turkey
– Preheat an outdoor gas grill to 400 degrees
– Rinse and prepare turkey (remove giblets, tuck wings in, tie legs together with cooking string)
– Place turkey inside a large roasting pan, breast side up
– Fill cavity with prepared stuffing, if desired
o If not, insert a halved lemon and halved onion
– Brush entire turkey with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, paprika (or other seasonings of your choice)
– Place pieces of onion on the thighs, legs, wings and on top. Place additional pieces of onion and lemon in the pan.
– Cover with a foil tent (open on ends)
– Put roasting pan on grill first, then fill with about one cup of chicken broth
– Alternate adding water and chicken broth in half-cup increments throughout cooking
– Cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350
– Rotate roasting pan a half turn every 30 minutes and baste each time for the first two hours
– At the start of the third hour, remove the foil tent and baste every 15 minutes until cooked to 165 degrees in the breast as measured with a meat thermometer
– Let stand for 15 minutes before carving
And there you have it! The perfect Thanksgiving grilled turkey – enjoy!