Fall is a great time to sell your home. The hustle and bustle of summer vacations and back to school are over and people are settling in for several weeks of down time before the holidays kick into high gear. If you’re putting your house on the market this autumn, here are some great staging tips to bring those buyers through the front door and keep them there.
• As always, curb appeal plays a huge role in the initial viewing of a home. Take some time to look at the front of your house and notice any areas where a little sprucing up can make a big difference.
o Wash the windows. Dirt and grime from a few blustery days can stick to windows, showing off the streaks from summer rain storms and sprinklers.
o Break out the potted plants on the front porch, pathway, and even by the sidewalk. Mums are especially popular this time of year and as a bonus they bloom for a long time. Bright yellows and oranges will stand out. Garnish with a few decorative squash or pumpkins for an inexpensive splash of excitement and color.
o Rake the yard. If leaves are falling, clearing off the grass gives the home a neat and tidy appearance.
• ‘Tis the season for spice! Put a pot of apple cider on the stove, place cinnamon sticks and apples in a basket on the counter, or bake some pumpkin muffins. Share some gingersnap cookies by the front door as a parting gift for visitors. Cloves also have a delicious fall scent.
• With the weather getting cooler, people are looking for warmth and that will draw their attention to your fireplace. If you have a gas fireplace, turn it on when potential buyers are coming through. Be sure to dust it out first and get rid of the old cobwebs. If your fireplace is open or wood-burning, consider staging it with some decorations such as candles or fall flower arrangements. A couple of pieces of chopped wood will also look nice. Decorate the mantle with autumn-themed artwork and candles.
• With the days getting shorter, be sure all the lights are on in every room and windows are open to let in the sun.
• Put out some accent pillows in fall colors on sofas and beds. Drape a fall-colored blanket over the easy chair and set out some pine cones and candles on the mantle. Yellow, orange, and red are the colors of this season and they brighten up a room tremendously.
• Don’t forget to stage the back patio. A fire pit, new rocking chairs, and some strategically placed fall flowers will emit a cozy feel. Position these items so they are easily visible from the inside as well.